Summer Camp Counselor Positions
Summer Camp Counselor Position Description
This opportunity is available to exceptional high school juniors or seniors or college students looking to develop their hands-on experience with community-based arts education. Counselors are an integral part of the Artistree summer staff and will support Artistree’s mission to deliver meaningful arts experiences to children in the Upper Valley.
This is a seasonal, part-time position at Artistree. Summer camps run daily from June 20-August 19, 2022.
What we are looking for in a candidate:
We are looking for counselors who are positive and passionate about working with children and are self-reflective in their interactions with others! Ideal candidates will have some prior experience working with children in a camp or childcare environment and be a positive team member and role model for younger children. A love of the creative arts (visual, music, theatre etc.) is a big plus!
This is a paid position, $14-$15/hour commensurate with experience. Hours will be determined based on an individual's availability.
General responsibilities may include:
- Help set up for the daily activities and check in campers.
- Assist the camp lead educator in a meaningful and hands-on way during the camp day.
- Potentially lead afternoon art activities from provided curriculum and materials.
- Lead afternoon play activities for campers.
- Monitor lunchtime on the playground for full-day campers.
- Assist with classroom clean up.
- Communicate with caregivers as needed.
- Be positive and interactive with campers, providing support and encouragement as needed
- Be fun, friendly and positive!! Help the kids have a wonderful summer!
- Assist with other duties as needed, such as Artistree special events.
Experience & Skills:
- Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively.
- Comfortable interacting with children and adults.
- Positive attitude, good problem solver.
- Experience working with children or a desire to work with children is an asset (not required).
- Interest and experience with visual arts, ceramics, theatre etc. is a plus!
Things to know:
- Summer camp counselor applicants must be 16 year old or older by June 20, 2022.
- You will need to provide your own reliable transportation to and from Artistree. We are located at 2095 Pomfret Road, South Pomfret, Vermont.
- Counselors should plan to be available for 1-2 training sessions prior to the start of camp (dates TBD for late May or early June).
- Scheduling can be flexible. Conversation about specific summer availability will happen during an interview. Preference will be given to applicants who have a minimum of 4 weeks of availability for the summer.
- Camp counselors will be responsible for independently obtaining a valid CPR certification by the start of camps.
- Artistree Covid policies are in following State of Vermont guidelines. Proof of vaccination for camp counselors is required.
- Being a camp counselor is a great way to gain work experience and build your resume. We consider the relationships we build with our camp counselors and counselors-in-training to be extremely important. Upon a successful summer experience, we are happy to write letters of recommendation and/or serve as a reference for you.
About Artistree Community Arts Center:
Artistree Community Arts Center provides the opportunity for a joyful, meaningful, and satisfying experience of the visual arts, movement, theatre and music through our year-round classes, workshops, performances, gallery exhibits and events. Situated in South Pomfret, Vermont, Artistree connects children and adults in this region to programs, events, gallery exhibitions, concerts and theatre performances in order to develop creativity and build community connections.
Please fill out the application HERE
The application deadline is March 15, 2022. Interviews will be scheduled for April.
Email Sheena at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions!