Artistree Fall 2020 and Winter 2021 Health and Safety Protocols
During the COVID-19 pandemic, it is crucial to minimize the risks of spreading the coronavirus. The following protocols are designed to maintain health and safety requirements and physical distancing directives while providing arts programming to our community.
Artistree staff will conduct a Daily Health Check in the lobby of the Barn for the students, instructors, and staff upon arrival each day. Adults may elect to use our self-check station in the lobby or in their studio.
- Have patrons been in close contact with a person who has COVID-19?
- Do patrons feel unwell with any symptoms consistent with COVID-19?
2. Conduct temperature screening on each patron ensuring their temperature is no higher than 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit.
Exclusion from Programs
- Artistree has signs posted at all entrances clearly indicating that no one may enter if they have symptoms of respiratory illness.
- Children and adults who travel to or arrive from out-of-state must quarantine 14 days, or quarantine 7 days and on the 8th day take a COVID-19 test that yields negative results, prior to attending Artistree programs.
- Anyone diagnosed with COVID-19 or feeling sick and awaiting test-results should self-isolate until:
1. It has been 3 full days of no fever without the use of fever-reducing medication, and
2. Other symptoms have improved, and
3. At least 10 days have passed since symptoms first appeared.
- The following students, instructors, and staff will be excluded from in-person classes:
o Sick for any reason
o Showing symptoms (outlined below) of COVID-19
o Have been in close contact with someone with COVID-19 in the last 14 days
o A cough, fever, shortness of breath, difficulty breathing, chills, repeated shaking with chills, muscle pain, headache, sore throat, or new loss of taste or smell
o Fever (temperature higher than 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit)
o Severe sore throat that lasts more than 48 hours, especially with a fever
o A significant rash, particularly when other symptoms are present
o Large amounts of discolored nasal discharge
o Severe ear pain
o Uncontrolled cough
o Severe headache, especially with a fever
- Children and adults with a fever greater than 100.4°F, no specific diagnosis, and COVID-19 is not suspected by the healthcare provider must remain at home until they have had no fever for a minimum of 24 hours without the use of fever-reducing medications (e.g., Advil, Tylenol).
- Healthy children and adults with the following symptoms/conditions may attend programming:
o Allergy symptoms (with no fever) that cause coughing and clear runny nose may stay if they have medically diagnosed allergies and follow medical treatment plans.
o Well-controlled, mild asthma
The onset of Illness at Artistree
• If symptoms begin while at Artistree, the individual will be sent home as soon as possible. Sick children will be kept in a separate room, designated for this purpose and away from well children. Staff contact will be limited as much as possible while ensuring the safety and supervision of the child until they leave.
• Areas used by a sick person will be closed off and will not be used until after cleaning and disinfecting.
• Outside doors and windows will be opened and ventilating fans will be used to increase air circulation in the area.
• All areas such as offices, bathrooms, common areas and shared electronic equipment used by the ill person, focusing especially on frequently touched surfaces, will be clean and disinfected.
• Artistree will participate in contact tracing as requested by the Health Department.
• Artistree will communicate with staff, instructors, adult patrons, and parents/caregivers with general information about the situation. It is critical to maintain confidentiality.
• Decisions about facility closure will be made in consultation with the Vermont Department of Health.
• When Artistree is notified that a staff member, instructor, adult patron, or child in our programs is being tested for COVID-19 with symptoms, anyone considered a close contact should quarantine for 48 hours or until test results come back. If the test results are:
- Positive (child or adult has COVID-19), then continue to quarantine for 14 days.
- Negative (child or adult does not have COVID-19), then complete self-observation. Artistree will stay connected to the patron/family, staff member, or instructor during this time.
Physical (Social) Distancing Strategies
• Adult patrons and children will be in small class groupings, not to exceed the maximum number allowed by state Executive Order.
• Instructors will set up activities at tables 6 feet apart, to the best extent possible.
• Instructors will plan activities that do not require or that limit close physical contact between multiple people, to the best extent possible.
• Artistree will adjust the system that circulates air through the facility to allow for more fresh air to enter the program space.
• Instructors will provide additional outside time as is possible and open windows frequently when air conditioning/heat is not being used.
• Instructors will limit sharing of materials, to the best of their ability.
• Instructors will keep each student’s belongings separated from others.
Wearing cloth face masks or coverings has been shown to be effective in reducing the risk of spreading coronavirus.
• All persons must wear face coverings when inside buildings.
• Children may remove facial coverings during outdoor activities when they can maintain physical distancing and have ready access to put them back on as needed when activity stops.
• CDC recommends no facial coverings for children under 2-years-old. As such, children under 2-years-old must not wear facial coverings.
• Children who have a medical reason for not wearing a cloth facial covering must not be be required to wear one.
• Instructors and staff may take off their facial covering in very select instances, such as when an individual is hearing impaired and reads lips to communicate.
Healthy Hand Hygiene Behavior
1. All children, adult patrons, staff, and contracted instructors should engage in hand hygiene.
2. All persons will wash hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If hands are not visibly dirty, alcohol-based hand sanitizers with at least 60% alcohol can be used if soap and water are not readily available.
Cleaning & Disinfecting
ArtisTree will engage in frequent thorough cleaning each day. At a minimum, common spaces, such as the kitchen, and frequently touched surfaces and doors will be cleaned and disinfected at the beginning, middle and end of each day.
1. Artistree will clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces such as:
- Frequently-used equipment including electronic devices
- Door handles, door jambs, and handrails
- Items children place in their mouths, including toys
- Playground equipment
2. Specifically, regarding shared bathrooms:
- Each studio has its own bathroom which will be the dedicated bathroom for that class.
- Bathroom sink areas including faucets, countertops, and paper towel dispensers need to be cleaned after each group has finished.
3. Children may use playground equipment under the following conditions:
- Plastic and metal playground equipment must be cleaned before and after each group.
- Staff and caregivers should continue to support physical distancing during playground play.
- Children must wash hands before and after outside play
Drop-Off and Pick-Up
Adults doing drop- off and pick-up should wear cloth facial coverings.
- Signs will be posted at all entrances clearly indicating that no one may enter if they have symptoms of respiratory illness.
- Ideally, the same caregiver or designated person should drop off and pick up the child every day. If possible, older people such as grandparents should not pick up their children because they are more at risk for serious illness.
- Pick-up and drop-off of children will occur outside the building unless Artistree determines that there is a legitimate need for the caregiver to enter the facility. (Weather dependent)
- Hand hygiene stations will be set up at the entrance of each studio, so that children can wash their hands before they enter, or immediately upon entry into the facility.
- Caregivers and designated persons who are self-quarantining due to close contact with a COVID-19 positive individual should NOT do drop-off or pick-up.
- Children will bring their own snacks for after school classes.
- Snack time will take place in each studio or at picnic tables under an outdoor tent.
- Staff and instructors should ensure children wash their hands before and after eating.
For more information about safety during the COVID-19 pandemic, please see the following:
General questions about COVID-19? Dial 2-1-1
Vermont Department of Health COVID-19 site: https://www.healthvermont.gov/response/coronavirus-covid-19
Vermont Schools and Childcare Programs page: https://www.healthvermont.gov/response/coronavirus-covid-19/schools-colleges-child-care-programs